Arugampul is endowed with excellent medicinal properties and has been used in villages of India from time immemorial to treat various diseases. Siddha and Ayurveda systems use Bermuda grass in preparing various concoctions.
In South India Arugampul is regarded as “Holy herb” or “Wonder herb” along with Holy Basil and Neem. Arugampul is the herb of Lord Ganesha, the Hindu God whom people worship before starting anything important.
Bermuda grass grows in mostly all types of soil. Because of its wide spread roots, the grass does not perish in any adverse climatic condition. It is quite difficult to pull out the grass complete from ground. It is a highly agressive species, crowding out most other grasses, leading it to be called “Devil’s grass” in some areas. Farmers regard this grass as a weed and pluck them out whenever they find them in their paddy fields.
Bermuda grass (English)
Leaf, Root (Whole plant).
Blood pressure, Eye diseases, Head diseases, Cough.
The plant contains crude proteins, carbohydrates and mineral constituents, oxides of magnesium, phosphorous, calcium, sodium and potassium. The whole plant affords sitosterol and carotene. Other compounds like vitamin C, cartone, palmitic acid, triterpenoides, alkaloids ergonovine and ergonovinine etc. are reported. Green grass contains Protein- 10.47%, Enzymes-28.17% and total ash- 11.75%.
The Ash contains Calcium- 0.77 %, Phosphorus- 0.58%, Manganese- 0.34%, Sodium- 0.23% and Potassium- 2.08%.
- Arugampul helps in detoxifying your body. Take juice of Arugampul every morning on empty stomach. It helps in removing toxins from your body.
- Boil Arugampul 10 gm, white pepper 2 gm, in 50 ml water and reduce it to 25 ml. Allow this preparation to cool and add a spoon of butter. This preparation can be taken to treat Anal itch, Urinary tract infection, painful urination and side effects of medicines etc.
- Arugampul is useful as a general tonic as well as an aphrodisiac.
- A paste made from Arugampul and Turmeric can be applied on skin to treat problems like Scabies, Eczema etc. Regular application is found to cure the Eczema and Scabies.
- Make a paste of Arugampul and mix it in a cup of yoghurt (curd). Women suffering from white discharge can benefit from this; they can take this for a week for complete cure.
- Juice obtained from Arugampul can be used as eye drops to cure eye irritation. When applied on fresh wounds it helps the blood to clot fast. It helps in healing old wounds too.
- As a potent styptic, Arugampul effectively arrests the bleeding in Dysentery, Piles, Haematuria, Epistaxis, Menorrhagia, Diarrhea, etc.
- Arugampul checks the Uterine bleeding, strengthens the Uterus, averts the abortion and augments the foetal growth.
In SIDDHA medicine:
- Arugampul juice is applied on eyes for eye diseases, nose for Epistasis & wound area for wound healing.
- Arugampul & Manjal mixed and grinded & applied for Skin diseases, it is very useful.
- Root of Arugampul reduces body temperature & cures the tridosha diseases.
- Arugan thylum is very much useful for Skin diseases.
- Arugampul’s root decoction is useful for Urinary infections & Piles.
- Arugampul’s root is powdered & mixed with curd, it is useful for Leucorrhea.
- Arugampul is used for environmental purposes (erosion control; lawn/turf), animal food (fodder; forage).